Monday, February 21, 2011

A thought on "social networking"

I watched the movie The Social Network tonight (to continue my catch-up on the popular media I've missed over the last few months), and my overall opinion?  It was good, because it made me feel a wee bit nauseous.

After watching, I happened to find something I had written at the bottom of my desktop "To Do" list at some point during the last few weeks.  I'm not sure when I wrote it, or what spurred me to jot down this particular stream of consciousness.  I don't know if it was a rumination in support of theatre in its most essential form (just human beings and stories), or perhaps in reaction to a class experience that made me feel strongly connected to someone else.  But, I thought it kind of fit with my internal reaction to the film.  So, I thought I would share it, unrefined as it is, for whatever it's worth.  (Ironically, on this electronic blog.  Hm.)
*  *  *

I lament that we’ve reached a point in time when we’re numbing ourselves.  Separating.  Not feeling or interacting fully and regularly with other human beings.  Often based on understandable reasons.  Interaction can be hurt.  Embarrassment.  Uncertainty.  Scary.  Unpredictable.  Violent.  Awkward.  And difficult.  But it’s real.  And rather that sinking into our technology and secluding ourselves from something tangible and full, let’s be real.  Think of a time when you’ve had one of your best laughs with people you love, or your best lovemaking, or your deepest cry, and your biggest fight.  Ahhh, that’s life.  We need those opportunities to stay real.  We need good stories that expand our horizons and force us to continue to question and explore and grow.  It’s my belief that if you live fully every day, utilizing every moment, emotion, opportunity that each second of life has to offer, things will get better by default.  If you live in a state of gratitude, then the world will respond in kind and show its gratitude for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment